- What is a Tech Pack?
- Why use Illustrator to make Tech Packs?
- What do you need to make a Tech Pack in Illustrator?
- A template
- A product photo
- A sketch or idea of the design
- How to make a Tech Pack in Illustrator
- Open a new file in Illustrator and name it
- Choose the template you want to use
- Insert the product photo into the template
- Sketch or trace the design onto the template
- Add any notes or details about the design
- Save the file and export as a PDF
Creating a tech pack in Illustrator is easy with our step-by-step guide. Learn how to make a tech pack today and save time on product development!
Checkout this video:
What is a Tech Pack?
A tech pack is a set of design documents that includes all of the information necessary to develop a product. This can include sketches, color palettes, garment measurements, construction details, etc. Tech packs are commonly used in the fashion industry, but can be applied to many different types of products.
There are many different software programs that can be used to create tech packs. Illustrator is a popular choice because it is very versatile and easy to use. In this tutorial, we will walk you through the process of creating a tech pack in Illustrator step-by-step.
1. First, you will need to gather all of the information and materials that you will need to create your tech pack. This can include sketches, photos, fabric swatches, etc.
2. Next, you will need to create a template for your tech pack. You can do this by creating a new document in Illustrator and setting up your artboard according to the dimensions that you want your finished tech pack to be.
3. Once you have your template set up, you can begin adding content to it. Start by adding your sketches orphotos to the artboard. Then, add text boxes for any additional information that you want to include (color palette, garment measurements, construction details, etc.).
4. Once you have all of your content added to the tech pack template, you can save it as a PDF and share it with anyone who needs it!
Why use Illustrator to make Tech Packs?
There are a few reasons to use Adobe Illustrator to make your technical packages instead of other vector drawing software. The first reason is that when you share your file with someone, they are more likely to have Illustrator than any other vector software. Secondly, there are many plugins and scripts made specifically for Illustrator that can save you time when making tech packs. And finally, there are some features in Illustrator (like wall art perspective drawing or pattern creation) that can make your life much easier when making technical illustrations.
What do you need to make a Tech Pack in Illustrator?
To make a Tech Pack in Illustrator, you’ll need the following:
-A vector file of the garment or product you wish to design. This will be your “base template”.
-Detailed reference images of the garment or product. These could be existing garments that serve as inspiration, or photographs that you’ve taken yourself.
-Sketches or rough illustrations of your ideas for the design.
-Any swatches or fabric samples that you may have.
-Illustrator CC (or another vector editing program).
Once you have all the information you need, it’s time to start building your tech pack template in Adobe Illustrator. You can use any vector-based design program, but Illustrator is industry standard for apparel design.
Start by creating a new file in Illustrator and setting up your artboard. I like to use the A4 paper size because it’s easy to print out and measure later on. But you can use any size you want, just be sure to adjust your settings accordingly.
Next, you’ll want to add in all the mandatory information fields that every tech pack should have. This includes things like the style name, season, product category, etc. You can find a full list of required information here.
Once you have all the essential info entered, it’s time to start adding in your product specific details. This is where Illustrator comes in handy because you can easily add in flat sketches, fabric swatches, trims, etc. All of which are important when communicating your design ideas to your team or manufacturer.
There is no right or wrong way to lay out your tech pack template. Just be sure to include all the relevant information and keep things organized so they are easy to find later on. If you need some inspiration, there are lots of great tech pack templates available online.
When your template is complete, save it as a PDF so it’s ready to send off to whoever needs it. And that’s it! You now know how to make a tech pack in Illustrator
A product photo
In order to make a digital product photo, you will need:
-A light source
-A camera or smart phone
-A tripod (optional)
1. Choose your product and find a well lit spot. Direct sunlight can create harsh shadows, so try to avoid it if possible. If you are using a camera, set it up on a tripod to avoid blurry photos.
2. Place your product in the center of the frame and make sure there is plenty of space around it.
3. Use the camera’s timer or self-timer function to avoid shaking the camera when you press the shutter button.
4. Take multiple photos from different angles and distances. Move around your product to get different views.
After you have taken your photos, transfer them to your computer and open them in Adobe Illustrator.
A sketch or idea of the design
The first step in making a tech pack is to gather your materials. You will need:
• A sketch or idea of the design
• Adobe Illustrator
• A printer
• Printer paper
• A ruler or a measuring tape
Once you have gathered your materials, you will need to open up Adobe Illustrator. In the top left corner of the screen, there should be a button that says “File.” Click on it, and then click “New.” A new Document window will pop up.
How to make a Tech Pack in Illustrator
A Tech Pack is a technical specification document that is created by a fashion designer to communicate their design ideas to factories. This document contains all of the information that a factory will need to know in order to produce the garment. Creating a Tech Pack can seem like a daunting task, but it doesn’t have to be! In this tutorial, I will show you how to create a Tech Pack using Adobe Illustrator.
I will be using the following template from thirdsidedesignco.com:
To start, open up Adobe Illustrator and create a new document. I like to work in Illustrator at least at 8.5″ x 11″ or 11″ x 17″. Next, you will want to add in your fashion sketch. You can either scan in a hand drawn sketch or use a template. I like to use templates because they help me keep my proportions accurate. Once you have your sketch in your Illustrator file, it’s time to start adding in your technical details!
For this example, I am going to add in a few measurements and some construction details. I always recommend starting with measurements because they are the most important part of the Tech Pack. To do this, I am going to use the “Line Segment Tool” (located in the tool bar on the left hand side of the screen). With this tool, you can click and drag to create straight lines. To make curved lines, simply click and hold down the “Shift” key while you are clicking and dragging.
After you have added all of your measurements and construction details, it’s time to add in your colorWay information. This is where you will specify what colors will be used for each part of the garment. For this example, I am going to use two colors: black and white. To do this, I am going to create two separate “layers” in my Illustrator file (you can think of layers like sheets of paper that you can stack on top of each other). On one layer, I will add my black color details and on the other layer, I will add my white color details. This is helpful because it allows me to easily see how the garment will look in both colors without having to erase or redraw anything!
To create a new layer, simply click on the “Layer” button at the bottom of your screen (it looks like a little stack of papers). From here, you can rename your layer (I like to name my layers by color), lock or unlock a layer, change the opacity of a layer, or delete a layer altogether! Once you have created your layers, simply drag and drop your elements onto the appropriate layer.
The last thing that you will want to do is add in any additional information that might be helpful for the factory (such as care instructions or fabric content). Once you have added all of your information, simply save your file as a PDF and send it off to the factory!
Open a new file in Illustrator and name it
In order to make your tech pack, you will need to open up a new file in Illustrator. You can do this by going to File>New. Once you have a new file open, you will want to name it. I like to name my files after the project that I am working on. For example, if I am making a tech pack for a t-shirt, I will name the file “T-shirt Tech Pack”. This helps me keep my files organized and makes it easy to find the file I am looking for later on.
Choose the template you want to use
There are many different ways to make tech packs, but if you’re using Adobe Illustrator, one of the best methods is to use a template. This will give you a consistent layout that you can use for all of your products, and it will also save you time in the long run.
There are a few different places where you can find templates, but one of the best is Envato Elements. For a monthly subscription, you’ll have access to thousands of different Illustrator templates, including tech pack templates.
Once you’ve found a template that you like, download it and open it up in Illustrator. You’ll then need to replace the existing information with your own product data.
Insert the product photo into the template
The first step in creating your tech pack is to insert the product photo into the template. Simply open up the file in Illustrator, and then drag the product image into the placeholder.
Next, you’ll want to add in all of the relevant information about the product. This can include things like measurements, materials, colors, etc. Again, simply drag and drop the information into the appropriate fields.
Once you have everything filled out, you’re ready to save and print your tech pack!
Sketch or trace the design onto the template
1. Sketch or trace the design onto the template.
2. Position the sketch on the template so that it is centrally aligned and leaving enough space around the edge of the sketch for annotations. If you are using a digital template, you can use the ‘Align’ function to position the sketch in the centre of the template.
3. Once you have positioned the sketch on the template, start to add in your annotations. These should include details such as fabric type, construction details, trimming details and any measurements or dimensions that may be relevant to the design.
4. When you have finished adding in your annotations, save a copy of the file as a PDF. This will ensure that your file can be easily opened and viewed by anyone who needs to access it, regardless of whether they have Illustrator installed on their computer or not.
Add any notes or details about the design
When you’re ready to start creating your tech pack, open up Adobe Illustrator and create a new file. The first thing you’ll want to do is add in all of the relevant information about your design, such as the name, description, fabric content, etc. You can either add this information directly into the file or create a separate text document that you can refer to later.
Next, you’ll need to add in diagrams or sketches of your design so that anyone who sees your tech pack will understand how it should look. If you don’t have any existing sketches, you can quickly create some using Illustrator’s shapes tool. Once you have your sketches in place, add in any notes or details about the design that someone would need to know in order to recreate it.
Finally, save your file and share it with whoever needs to see it! Tech packs are essential for anyone working in fashion design or product development, so make sure you create one whenever you start working on a new project.
Save the file and export as a PDF
After you have everything arranged how you want it, you are ready to save your file. Go to File > Save As > and choose where you would like to save your file. I like to keep all my tech packs in one place so I save mine on my computer in a folder called “Tech Packs”. Once you have chosen where to save, make sure the format is set to Adobe PDF and then click Save.
You will be given some options about the PDF. You can leave all the settings as their defaults or you can play around with them to see what works best for you. Once you have the settings how you want them, click OK and your file will be saved as a PDF.